My Blog List

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mexican Rice

To make this as good for us as I could, I used brown rice.

1 cup brown rice
1 Tblspn vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (preferably low sodium, or vegetable broth if you're going meatless)
1/2 onion finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped
1 fresh jalapeno chopped
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1 clover garlic, finely chopped

Here are the traditional cooking instructions.
In medium saucepan, cook rice in oil for about 3 minutes.  Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Stir in onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and diced tomato.  Season with salt, pepper, cumin, cilantro and garlic.  Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.  Cook for 20 minutes

I've made it in a saucepan and it is very good.  However, I've since bought a rice cooker and I love using it.  I put all the ingredients into the rice cooker, OMITTING THE OIL and let it cook until it is done.  So easy, no stirring, no potential for scorching, etc. and very easy clean-up.

You've got to try this the next time you have a craving for Mexican food.  It is fairly spicey, so you may want to use less jalapeno. 

For me, recipes are suggestions.  It is a list of ingredients that go well together and can be adjusted for your personal taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. Let me know if you've tried the recipe!!!

About Me

My photo
Alma, Arkansas, United States