My Blog List

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Smokey Chipotle Hummus

Hummus is a dip whose primary ingredient is chickpeas aka garbanzo beans.  This is my favorite hummus recipe so far.  The recipe calls for several ingredients, but I think it is worth the effort.  It has lots of flavor.  Use as a dip for veggies or when I want something really crunchy, I use pita chips.

1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans - drained
1/8 cup tahini (sesame seed paste, NATURAL peanut butter can be used as a substitute)
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tblspn olive oil
1/2 of a canned chipotle pepper in adobe sauce (this is half of ONE pepper, not half a can)
1 clove garlic
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 of a 7 oz jar of roasted red bell peppers
3 oil packed sun-dried tomatoes (drained)
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
Salt & Pepper to your taste

Put the first 7 ingredients into food processor (I use a blender) process until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and pulse processor until ingredients are coarsely chopped into the hummus base.  Transfer to serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.

When I first used this recipe, it was double the amounts.  It made quite a bit so I've halved the recipe and this is how I make it now.  If you find the initial mixture too thick, add up to 1/4 cup of water to thin it.

I was only able to find tahini paste in a health food store.  Everything I read on the internet said I could use peanut butter as a substitute.  I wanted to taste it for myself first before I tried any substititions.  Tahini does taste very similar to NATURAL peanut butter.  Do not use regular peanut butter as a substitute.

The canned chipotle peppers in adobe sauce can be found in the Mexican food section of your grocery store.

If you're like me, these ingredients intimidated me a little.  I went for it and am glad I did.  It's a new taste and a healthy snack!! 

I've also spread this on a whole grain "thin bun" and added some chopped rotisserie chicken and made a sandwich.  Good stuff.
I hope you enjoy it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. Let me know if you've tried the recipe!!!

About Me

My photo
Alma, Arkansas, United States