My Blog List

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mexican Vegetable Soup

I've had prejudice against soup in the summer.  I don't know why.  I eat other foods hot, so why the aversion to soup?  This is one of my favorite dishes.  I like Mexican food so I came up with this during the Daniel Fast.  It is "Chicken Tortilla Soup" without chicken or tortillas.  The green chilis and the cilantro make it EXTRA good.

CAUTION - THIS MAKES A HUGE POT OF SOUP

1/2 to 1 whole onion chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes  - chopped
1 can Ro-Tel
1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans whole kernel corn
3 cans chopped green chilis (use the liquid too)
4 cans vegetable broth (I use chicken broth if we are not fasting meat)
2 cups cooked brown rice (it's a whole grain, better for stable blood sugar)
1/8 cup cilantro, finely chopped (it's in the produce aisle, looks like parsley)
3 tspns cumin
2 tspns garlic (I usually use the minced stuff in the jar, sometimes I'll chop a clove instead)

Directions
Saute onion & garlic in olive oil.  Add everything else and simmer for at least an  hour. 

Since we are not fasting, when I made this tonight I added the meat off of a rotisserie chicken.  There is still protein in this meal even without the chicken.  The beans and rice provide it nicely.

I  hope you make this.  It is exciting to have satisfying mexican flavor without all the cheese that is usually added into mexican dishes.

Thanks for reading and your comments!!!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so good!! I bet landon would like this alot!! Good recipe!! I am always looking for things to cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I think we are going to have to try this one but it might be a couple of weeks until we get the chance. Hey, if you're ever looking for a taste tester before you post your amazing dishes, you know where I live.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. Let me know if you've tried the recipe!!!

About Me

My photo
Alma, Arkansas, United States